Sunday, April 8, 2007

Won't look like me...

I was sitting in church this morning and I couldn't help notice all the families sitting around us. A mom sitting with her two teenaged daughters in front of us. A young couple with their newborn baby sitting behind us to the left...and then I noticed a young women, maybe in her late teens or early twenties sitting a few rows in front of us. I found myself examining her and her unique appearance and began to wonder what our adoptive child will look like when he/she grows up. Chances are when you have a biological child you sorta know your child will have one of your eyes, nose and lips, but for Grant & I our child will likely not look like either one of us. Am I being too vain?? I shared my thoughts with Grant during our drive home - let me start by saying I have the most amazing husband - Grant reminded me that our child will be a beautiful and percious gift from God who we will cherish and love with everything we have and that is more important than outward appearances. Our child will be surrounded with love and support from our family & friends and we will do all we can to raise our child to be confident in who he/she is as a person and not find worth in worldly possessions. So, our baby may not look like me, but our child will definitely be loved by me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grant & Janet,

You are right - outward appearances aren't important - but I completely understand that you would have to work through the feelings on that.

I have friends that adopted two little girls from the Ukraine and one of them looks just like the adoptive mother and the other just like the father - it's really quite amazing!!

And - just the other day my sister stopped by with a friend of hers that hadn't met Abby yet - Chris was home and he naturally thought that Chris was the father and commented that he thought Abby was a good mix of the two of us!!! So, poor Steve......

Love you both!
Andrea

Grant and Janet Carioni said...

Hey Andrea...now that you mention it, I do see a little bit of Chris in Abby :) Just joking!!!